College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of English
Applied Linguistics, Doctor of Philosophy
What Can I Do with a Doctor of Philosophy in Applied Linguistics?
To receive a Doctor of Philosophy Degree (Ph.D.) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses, from one or more disciplines, ranging from at least 60-109 units of graduate-level courses. Most plans require research, a dissertation, and comprehensive exams. All plans have residency requirements regarding time spent on the Flagstaff campus engaged in full-time study.
The full policy can be viewed here.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||81|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Dissertation||Dissertation is required.
|Oral Defense||Oral Defense is required.
|Research||Individualized research is required.
|Program of Study||View Program of Study|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 81 units:
- Master's-level work relevant to your research interests (36 units)
- Statistics, such as: ENG 668, EPS 625 and EPS 725 (9 units)
- Literature or rhetoric (3 units)
- Seminars (9 units)
- Graduate electives, chosen in consultation with your dissertation committee (9 units)
- ENG 799, for the research, writing, and oral defense of an approved dissertation (15 units)
Please note that you may end up taking more units of dissertation credit than the 15 units you can count toward your degree, because you must register for ENG 799 each semester while you work on your dissertation.
In addition you must:
- Complete a screening process
- Complete a qualifying exam
- Fulfill Northern Arizona University's residency requirements (For more information about residency and other requirements that pertain to this degree, see Doctoral Requirements Policy.)
- Pass an oral exam on your dissertation (Dissertation Defense)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site