Provost Office2018-2019

Arts and Sciences

Biological and Ecological Sciences, Bachelor of Science


What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Environmental and Biological Sciences? 

The Environmental and Biological Sciences degree encompasses numerous cutting-edge disciplines. Each offers a multitude of exciting career paths. You can also train to teach biology in secondary or primary schools. You can prepare for graduate, for admission to medical, dental, or veterinary school, or for other professional training.

You will also receive plenty of personal attention from faculty - in the classroom, in research opportunities, and NAU-Yuma student support services. Undergraduate research opportunities will involve you in the process and application of science. And you can take advantage of our location on the Lower Colorado River area, which offers a unique region for field projects or samples and specimens for molecular research. Our graduates have exceptional placement rates in medical schools, government agencies, and graduate programs. Whatever path you take after graduation, you will be ready to succeed.

Career opportunities that might be pursued:
  • Medical corporations
  • Biological testing laboratories
  • Pharmaceutical companies
  • State or federal government agencies

With further education, one of these paths is possible:
  • University professor
  • Physician
  • Researcher
  • Crime lab analyst

University Requirements

  • To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.

    • All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
    • All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
    • At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
    • At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
    • A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
    The full policy can be viewed here.



In addition to University Requirements:

  • At least 66 units of major requirements
  • Up to 9 units of liberal studies requirements can have the same prefix as the major. For this major the prefixes include BSC and BIO. 

  • Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units

Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

Minimum Units for Completion 120
Major GPA C
Highest Mathematics Required MAT 125
Fieldwork Experience/Internship Required
Research Required
Progression Plan Link View Progression Plan


Major Requirements
  •  Physical Science Foundation:

    • Select one of the following math combinations:

      Select one of the following physics sequences:If you are considering a minor, 18 units of qualifying chemistry satisfy the requirements for the Minor in Chemistry.

General Electives
  • Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit. 

    You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)

Additional Information
  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.

Campus Availability

Go to mobile site