College of Engineering, Forestry, and Natural Sciences2013-2014
Department of Biological Sciences
Biology, Bachelor of Science
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Biology?
You will also receive plenty of personal attention from faculty--in the classroom, in research laboratories, and in our Biology Advisement Center. Numerous undergraduate research opportunities involve you in the process and application of science. And you can take advantage of our location on the Colorado Plateau, which offers high quality of life with many excellent destinations for field projects and recreation. Our graduates have exceptional placement rates in medical schools, government agencies, and graduate programs. Whatever path you take after graduation, you will be ready to succeed.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Medical corporations
- Biological testing laboratories
- Pharmaceutical companies
- State or federal government agencies
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- University professor
- Crime lab analyst
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 66 units of major requirements
- Be aware that you may not use courses with a BIO prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 125|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
Take the following 66 units including 40 units of Biology and Biology-related courses with a Grade of "C" or better:
Select one of the following junior-level writing requirement options (4-5 units):
- ANT 270, ANT 271, ANT 370, ANT 379, ANT 553, ANT 554
- CHM 238L, CHM 320, CHM 320L, CHM 440, CHM 461, CHM 462C, CHM 560
- CS 486C
- ENV 360, ENV 440, ENV 440L
- FOR 212, FOR 213, FOR 222, FOR 240, FOR 250, FOR 255, FOR 270, FOR 340, FOR 381, FOR 382, FOR 445, FOR 452, FOR 453, FOR 454, FOR 504
- GLG 101, GLG 107, GLG 201, GLG 225, GLG 304, GLG 530
- GSP 150
- NTS 256
- PHI 332
- PRM 300
- PSY 320, PSY 350, PSY 355, PSY 370, PSY 420, PSY 432, PSY 670
- STA 471
Please note many of the following major requirements also satisfy Liberal Studies requirements.
Select one of the following organic chemistry sequences:
- CHM 230, CHM 230L (4 units)
- CHM 235, CHM 235L If choosing to complete this sequence, then CHM 238 is recommended. (5 units)
If you are considering a minor, 18 units of qualifying chemistry satisfy the requirements for the Minor in CHMMN.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site