College of Education2012-2013
Department of Educational Specialties
Bilingual and Multicultural Education - ESL, Master of Education
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
What Can I Do with a Master of Education in Bilingual Multicultural Education - ESL?
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- English as a Second Language teacher
- Classroom teacher
- English as a SecondLlanguage director
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Candidates in this program of study are required to demonstrate content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge and skills, and professional knowledge to enroll in the fieldwork and capstone courses. Content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge or skills are demonstrated through candidate performance on key assessments embedded in the following courses:
- BME 530, BME 608, BME 631, BME 634, BME 637, and BME 698
- A portfolio of sample work that demonstrates proficiency on TESOL professional standards, and through a passing score on a comprehensive examination
|Minimum Units for Completion||30|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 30 units:
Required Courses (21 units)
*Both the BME 608 fieldwork course and the BME 698 capstone course should be taken near the completion of this 30-unit program. Candidates must complete a comprehensive examination during their fieldwork course.
Foundations (6 units)
- Select one course from: ANT 569, EDR 610, EDR 611, EPS 525
- Select one course from: EPS 596, EPS 605, EPS 610, EPS 611
Electives (3 units)
Select at least one course from**:
**If you have not completed a Foundations course prior to admission to this program, then you must complete one of EDF 500, EDF 670, EDF 671, EDF 672, EDF 673, or EDF 677. Other suitable electives may be substituted with the advisor's written approval.
At least 50% of your courses must be at the 600-level or above. A maximum of two 400-level courses may be taken for graduate credit in the program of study. In addition, you must be admitted to this degree program before finishing your first 12 units of graduate work.
This program includes all the coursework requirements for the Arizona ESL Endorsement. Students interested in pursuing this endorsement should choose BME 420 as an elective.
For this plan, you need not demonstrate proficiency in a second language, but you must have had some second-language learning experience. However, if you decide to apply for either the Bilingual Endorsement - Arizona Department of Education or the English as a Second Language Endorsement - Arizona Department of Education, you do need to fulfill the language proficiency and teacher certification requirements established by the Arizona Department of Education. This requirement may be met in several ways, including six (6) semester hours of study in a foreign language, passing the Spanish Proficiency exam, or Tribal documentation of proficiency in a Native Language. All endorsements are granted through the Arizona Department of Education.
All endorsements are granted through the Arizona Department of Education.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site