College of Engineering, Informatics, and Applied Sciences2020-2021
Department of Civil Engineering, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering
Civil Engineering Professional, Master of Engineering
What Can I Do with a Civil Engineering Professional, Master of Engineering?
Career opportunities are available in multiple areas, including city, county, state, or federal agencies, as well as NGOs, consulting engineering firms, and the construction industry. Opportunities are also available in the analytical services, manufacturing, and energy sectors.
The M.Eng. is intended to be the terminal degree for those working in industry as a licensed civil engineer.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Sustainability or Design Engineer
- Engineering Consultant or Entrepreneur
- Research and Development Engineer
- Governmental agency management engineer
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||30|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Additional Fees/Program Fees||Required|
|Some online/blended coursework||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||View Program of Study|
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy
- International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
- B.S. degree in Engineering or completion of prerequisite courses (see department website for details)
- TOEFL for international students whose degree is not from an English speaking institution with a passing score of 80
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.5
This Master’s degree requires 30 units distributed as follows:
- Civil Engineering Coursework: 15 units
- Project Management and Policy Coursework: 9 units
Take the following 15 units:
Civil Engineering Coursework (15 units)
Project Management and Policy (9 units):
Civil Engineering Electives or Master’s Project (6 units):
- CENE 690 (0-6 units)
- The CENE Graduate Coordinator or their designee will serve as faculty advisor for these students. If a project is selected, the faculty member serving as the project leader will serve as the student’s advisor.
- Students with Professional Engineer (PE) status may be allowed up to 6 units of credit for experience toward their project requirements.
Because it is anticipated that practicing professionals will take one course, per semester, with an anticipated completion period of three years, we recommend that students are allowed up to five years to complete degree requirements.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
- PROGRAM FEE INFORMATION
Program fees are established by the Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR). A program fee of $900 per year has been approved for this program.
Go to mobile site