College of Arts and Letters2012-2013

Department of English

Creative Writing, Undergraduate Certificate

Whether your creative genre is fiction, poetry, or nonfiction, this certificate provides experience and stimulation to advance students’ writing skills, discipline, and habits.


What Can I Do with a Certificate in Creative Writing?

This certificate enables students who desire to develop a talent for writing to focus on the techniques of creative writing and to discover the scope of this exciting and challenging discipline. Attaining a Bachelor's degree in English with this specialization certificate can help graduates verify training for the post-degree marketplace, whether for employment or post-degree educational purposes, thus allowing them to distinguish themselves from competitors.

University Requirements

  • An undergraduate certificate may be earned as part of a bachelor's degree or as a stand-alone certificate.

    To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.


In addition to University Requirements:

  • Complete individual plan requirements.

Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

Minimum Units for Completion 15
Major GPA 3.0


Certificate Requirements
  • Take the following 15 units with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0.

    A maximum of 6 units of lower-division coursework may count toward this certificate.A minimum of 9 units of upper-division work must count toward this certificate.Please Note:
    • Capstone courses are repeatable for additional credit when they have different content.
    • Under certain circumstances with instructor and advisor approval ENG 507 or ENG 509 may substitute for one 400-level course.
    • This certificate is available only to English Majors. You must also complete requirements for the major in English.
  • English Majors elect a certificate by submitting a completed "Undergraduate Major/Minor Certificate Changes" form to the Dean's office.

  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.

Campus Availability

Go to mobile site