College of Education2017-2018
Department of Educational Specialties
Career and Technical Education, Minor
What Can I Do with a Minor in Career and Technical Education?
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Some online/blended coursework||Required|
Student Learning Outcomes
Demonstrate familiarity and understanding of foundations of Career and Technical Education.
- Demonstrate familiarity and understanding of the Career and Technical Education terminology and structure through appropriate use in written documents and oral presentations.
- Differentiate the functional, historical and philosophical structure and contexts of Career and Technical Education at the national and international levels.
- Examine the philosophical social, economic, and ethical considerations and consequences of Career and Technical Education’s role in American society; and identify how these consequences will impact their work in the profession.
- Demonstrate ability to pre-assess prior knowledge to plan for effective instruction;
- Select materials, methods and resources to meet instructional goals;
- Demonstrate ability to employ a variety of teaching methods to effectively engage learners;
- Evaluate learning, provide appropriate feedback to learners, and objectively judge effectiveness of content delivery methods;
- Demonstrate effective communication skills (written and oral) in the planning, development, delivery and assessment of instruction;
- Evaluate and critique employability skills for application and integration into Career and Technical Education curriculum and programs;
- Model appropriate professional occupational conduct and ethics though application in the planning, development, delivery and assessment of instruction;
- Possess technological literacy to apply available technologies and investigate potential technology applications;
- Appropriately integrate instructional technology;
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- Admission to this minor requires completion of at least 15 hours of coursework in a major that aligns with an occupation area.
Take the following 18 units:
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site