College of Education2012-2013
Department of Educational Specialties
Career and Technical Education - Occupational Education 90-30, Bachelor of Science in Education
We offer this degree as part of Northern Arizona University's Extended Campuses program. All CTE requirements are offered in the online format. Law-enforcement professionals only have the option of a Phoenix cohort.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Education in Career and Technical Education - Occupational Education 90-30?
Many students who pursue this degree are already CTE or "vocational" certified for secondary education in the State of Arizona. Such students pursue this degree to meet the state "highly qualified" standards. This degree is also a good fit for those with career goals outside of public schools - in business, industry, trade schools, or training settings
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Students may transfer up to a maximum of 90 hours of community college and/or university credit from regionally accredited institutions of higher education
- At least 55 units of major requirements including at least 30 hours of upper-division CTE requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Liberal Studies Requirement
- If you have earned an AGEC Certification from a regionally accredited community college in Arizona, then you have satisfied the Northern Arizona University Liberal Studies requirement and the Northern Arizona University diversity requirement for this degree. Students who have not earned an AGEC must complete all Liberal Studies requirements and diversity requirements before graduation.
Associate Degree Transfer Block
- Northern Arizona University accepts a maximum block transfer of 90 units from your associate degree program, and you then take the remaining 30 upper-division units at Northern Arizona University to complete 120 units.
Take the following 55 units in approved career and technical education occupation areas with a minimum GPA of 2.5:
Coursework can include any combination of transfer credit, minor(s) from related fields, National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) test credit, and/or occupational experience credit.
Please note that if you have previous trade, industrial, or technical experience, we grant you up to 20 units toward your major requirements upon verification of certification from the teacher certification unit at the Arizona Department of Education. Additionally, you may earn 35 units for successful passage of a NOCTI test administered by Northern Arizona University. See your advisor for more information.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Career and Technical Education State Teaching Certification
You may become career and technical education certified in Arizona by providing documentation of previous occupational experience to the teacher-certification unit at the Arizona Department of Education. See your advisor for more information.
Please be aware that, for the B.S.Ed. degree, you must have the following:
- A grade of "B" or better for the English foundation requirement (ENG 105 or equivalent) (If you don’t receive a 3.0, you may complete an additional ENG writing course, at the 200-level or above, with at least a "B," to meet this requirement.)
- A grade of "C" or better for the mathematics foundation requirement
- A grade point average of at least 2.5 in all of your Northern Arizona University coursework in order to student teach. This requirement applies to all B.S.Ed. majors at Northern Arizona University.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site