College of Education2012-2013
Department of Teaching and Learning
Curriculum and Instruction, Doctor of Education
What Can I Do with a Doctor of Education in Curriculum and Instruction?
To receive a Doctor of Education Degree (Ed.D.) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses, from one or more disciplines, ranging from at least 63-90 units of graduate-level courses. Most plans require research, a dissertation, and comprehensive exams. All plans have residency requirements regarding time spent on the Flagstaff campus engaged in full-time study.
The full policy can be viewed here.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||90|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Dissertation||Dissertation is required.
|Oral Defense||Oral Defense is required.
|Research||Individualized research is required.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 90 units:
- ECI 710, ECI 730, ECI 740 (9 units)
- Select one course from: EDF 703, EDF 711, EPS 712 (3 units)
- EDF 672 (3 units)
- ECI 675, EDR 610, EDR 611, EPS 525 (12 units)
- One Educational Foundations course numbered 500 or above (3 units)
- ECI 761, ECI 796, EPS 720 (9 units)
- Select one course from: EDR 720, EDR 725, EDR 730 (3 units)
- EPS 625 or EPS 725 (3 units)
- Planned Focus covering current thought in an area of applied curriculum and instruction. This must include courses in foundational/theoretical/philosophical perspectives, research methodology, and new developments. (18 units)
- Select one course from: ECI 649, ECI 666, ECI 696, ECI 771. We recommend that this course be outside your focus area. (3 units)
- ECI 798 (3 units)
- Additional graduate coursework (12 units)
- ECI 799, for the research, writing, and oral defense of an approved dissertation. You may end up taking more than the required units you can count toward your degree because you must register for it each semester while you are working on your dissertation. (9 units)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site