College of Health and Human Services2013-2014
Department of Dental Hygiene
Dental Hygiene - Degree Completion Program, Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene
This degree is intended for licensed dental hygienists with an associate degree or certificate. This bachelor’s degree allows students to take all classes online while continuing to work in the dental hygiene profession. Extensive transfer credit is given for dental hygiene licensure. The focus of the degree is to prepare graduates for positions in public health, dental hygiene education, research, expanded practice and graduate study.
This degree is nationally recognized by the American Dental Association.
This program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA).
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene in Dental Hygiene - Degree Completion Program?
The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene Degree Completion Program (BSDHCP) is specifically designed for dental hygienists with an Associate Degree, Diploma, or Certificate in Dental Hygiene. The BSDHCP will enhance your theoretical and clinical knowledge and promote career advancement in management, education, public health, sales, marketing and research. The degree is also aimed at those who want the option to move into a new field related to Dental Hygiene, pursue a Master's Degree, or who want to strengthen professional skills in communication, evidence-based practice, computer use, and statistics.
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Statistics (a prerequisite fulfilled by STA 270) (3 units)
- Required Dental Hygiene courses (15 units)
- Dental Hygiene Major Electives (3 units)
- Additional upper-division courses, some of which may be needed to fulfill NAU's Liberal Studies or Diversity requirements (Be aware that you may not use courses with a DH prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements.) See NAU Diversity Course List for more information.
- Other courses, if needed, to fulfill NAU's requirements, if, after transcript evaluation, appropriate units/courses have not been completed (12 units)
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Associate Degree Transfer Block
NAU accepts a maximum block transfer of 64 units from your associate degree program (or diploma or certificate program). You must fulfill NAU's liberal studies and diversity requirements. Many transfer units may apply toward fulfilling those requirements.
Since you are entering this plan as a Licensed Dental Hygienist, NAU is able to accept up to 26 units of your licensure requirements as non-traditional credit. In optimal circumstances, the sum of the maximum block transfer (64 units) plus the maximum non-traditional licensure credit (26 units) will total to 90 units, leaving a balance of 30 units to be completed at NAU. These will include 12 units of upper-division electives. We encourage you to discuss elective options with your advisor, so as to ensure the courses will help you advance toward your professional, personal, and degree-completion goals.
Take the following 30 units:
- HHS 300W or DH 373W (3 units)
- DH 350, DH 440, DH 450 (9 units)
- Dental Hygiene Major Elective - Select one course from: DH 340, DH 430, BBA 303 (3 units)
- DH 495C (3 units)
- Additional elective units (12 units)
STA 270 (or its transfer equivalent) must be completed early in your program, since it is a prerequisite for DH 373W and DH 450. Its prerequisites are as follows: MAT 102X or MAT 108 or MAT 114, with a grade of “C” or better, or Math Placement Test Results.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site