College of Education2013-2014
Department of Teaching and Learning
Early Childhood Education, Master of Education
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Early Childhood - Emphasis (beginning Fall 2014)
- Early Childhood Leadership - Emphasis (beginning Fall 2014)
We designed this program for practicing teachers who wish to develop skills to better work with preschool and primary-level children.
This program is nationally recognized by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
What Can I Do with a Master of Education in Early Childhood Education?
No job is more challenging, rewarding, or important than teaching small children. As an early childhood educator, you’ll help shape the character—and future—of every child in your classroom. It’s a big responsibility. If you want to work with preschool and primary school-aged children, this degree program will enhance your teaching skills in this area, and will prepare you to succeed.
For more than a century, Northern Arizona University has produced leaders for America’s schools. Our graduates have a 98 percent pass rate on the Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessment exam. The College of Education is technologically advanced, culturally responsive, and student-focused. Small class sizes guarantee that you will receive lots of individual attention. You’ll also do plenty of classroom teaching.
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Curriculum specialist
- Preschool teacher
- Childcare administrator
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Candidates in this program are required to demonstrate content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge and skills, professional knowledge, and professional dispositions to be eligible to enter student teaching or internship placements. Content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge or skills, professional dispositions are demonstrated through candidate performance on key assessments embedded in the following course(s):
|Minimum Units for Completion||30|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application required.for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy
- International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
- IVP Fingerprint clearance card
- Teaching certificate (if the applicant has one)
- Program of study signed by applicant and advisor
Take the following 30 units:
Select one course from:
- ECI 526, ECI 531, ECI 620, ECI 621, ECI 625
- Note: These are required courses which include requisite signature assignments. These courses must be taken and may not be substituted using transfer credit or other courses.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site