College of Education2012-2013
Department of Educational Leadership
Educational Leadership - Community College/Higher Education, Master of Education
What Can I Do with a Master of Education in Educational Leadership - Community College/Higher Education?
This emphasis builds on interests in teaching and student affairs so you can assume leadership roles in community colleges or other institutions of higher education. Students in this emphasis generally have, or anticipate having, a staff or faculty position at a community college or other institution of higher learning. With this degree, you'll gain skills and knowledge that can lead to positions where you'll be helping make key decisions and policies for institutions of higher education. In this program you'll find the opportunity to enrich your ability to shape educational policy and practice.
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Educational consultant
- Staff or faculty position at a university
- School superintendent
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||36|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Thesis||Thesis may be required by chosen emphasis or offered as an option.|
|Oral Defense||Oral Defense may be required by chosen emphasis or offered as an option.|
|Research||Individualized research may be required by chosen emphasis or offered as an option.|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 36 units:
- CC 580, CC 680 (6 units)
- EDF 630 (3 units)
- EDL 600, EDL 630, EDL 660, EDL 680 These courses must be taken in the order shown. (12 units)
- EDR 610 (3 units)
(Please note that if you choose the thesis option you may end up taking more than 3 units of thesis credit because you must register for CC 699 each semester while you are working on your thesis.)
- (Please note that if you choose the thesis option you may end up taking more than 3 units of thesis credit because you must register for CC 699 each semester while you are working on your thesis.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site