College of Education2012-2013
Department of Teaching and Learning
Elementary Education - Certification, Master of Education
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
What Can I Do with a Master of Education in Elementary Education - Certification?
Our program will help you enhance your teaching skills in K-8 education. You’ll complete advanced courses in teaching methods and curriculum. You also have the option to pursue the Reading Specialist Endorsement, either separately or as part of your degree program.
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Candidates in this program are required to demonstrate content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge and skills, and professional knowledge to be eligible to enter student teaching or internship placements. Content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge or skills are demonstrated through candidate performance on key assessments embedded in the following course(s):
|Minimum Units for Completion||46|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Arizona Certification/Endorsement||Prepares student for Arizona Certification and/or Endorsement.|
|Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching||Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching is required.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
If you are completing the Masters in Elementary Education with Certification, you must meet the following admission requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Grade point average of 3.0 - full admittance
- Grade point average below 3.0 - provisional admittance with allowance to achieve 3.0 GPA in graduate-level coursework within first nine units
- English composition course(s) (ENG 101 and ENG 102), ENG 105 at NAU, or equivalent English composition/writing course) with minimum GPA of 3.0 or submission of a writing sample to be reviewed by the Teacher Education Admissions Committee
- College Algebra or equivalent mathematics course(s) with a grade of "C" or better (equivalence is determined by designated Teaching and Learning faculty member)
- One lab science course with a grade of "C" or better
- Recommendation Form (included in application packet) completed by someone who has directly observed your work with children or adolescents within the ages of pre-school through high school. Such work experience can be either voluntary or paid, but must have occurred in a structured setting for a minimum of 15 hours. Examples of acceptable experiences may include work as a camp counselor, swimming instructor, Sunday-school teacher, volunteer in a classroom, or other similar settings.
- A copy of your State-approved Identity-Verified Print (IVP) fingerprint clearance card, obtainable through the Arizona Department of Public Safety (602-223-2279).
- Be admitted to the NAU Graduate College
Take the following 46 units:
- ECI 570 (1 unit)
- BME 500 and BME 631 (6 units)
- ECI 571, ECI 572, ECI 573, ECI 574, ECI 575 (18 units)
- ESE 548 (3 units)
- ECI 576 and ECI 577* (12 units)
In addition to earning a Master’s degree, this plan meets the Arizona requirements for K-8 teacher certification and provides an institutional recommendation that you can use to obtain K-8 teacher certification in Arizona.
This degree is considered a terminal degree; you cannot apply it toward a doctoral degree.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site