College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of English
English, Bachelor of Arts
By studying the literature of different times and peoples, you can develop your historical and cultural imagination. Our plans can also prepare you to teach English in middle- and senior-high schools, pursue careers in the corporate world, and compete successfully in graduate and professional schools.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in English?
You'll enjoy our English department for many reasons--strong undergraduate degree programs, outstanding faculty, a wide range of courses, and more. Our friendly, mountain-town setting gives you the support you need to succeed. You can focus on creative writing, English education, general English studies, linguistics, literature, technical writing, or rhetoric.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Public relations
- Secondary teaching
- Speech writing
- Web design
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- University professor
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 45 units of major requirements
- At least 16 units of language requirements
- Be aware that you may not use courses with an ENG prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
Take the following 45 units with at least 18 units taken at Northern Arizona University:
- Lower-division ENG coursework, including at least 9 units of 200-level courses (12 units)
- Select from: ENG 302W, ENG 305W, ENG 310W, ENG 313W, ENG 360W, ENG 370W (3 units)
- Additional ENG coursework at the 300 level (12 units)
- Select from: ENG 410C, ENG 411C, ENG 420C, ENG 421C, ENG 422C, ENG 431C, ENG 441C, ENG 445C, ENG 451C, ENG 460C, ENG 461C, ENG 467C, ENG 470C, ENG 471C, ENG 472C (9 units)
- Additional ENG coursework at the 400 level (3 units)
- Additional ENG coursework at any level (6 units)
Distribution: The 45 units completed for the major must include at least one course each from three of the four groups listed below.
- Literature courses: ENG 130, ENG 230, ENG 231, ENG 232, ENG 242, ENG 243, ENG 245, ENG 247, ENG 252, ENG 253, ENG 261, ENG 266, ENG 358
- Rhetoric courses: ENG 110, ENG 210, ENG 211, ENG 305W, ENG 310W, ENG 313W
- Creative writing courses: ENG 270, ENG 271, ENG 272
- Linguistics courses: ENG 121, ENG 220, ENG 223, ENG 308, ENG 321
Foreign Language Requirement
You must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English that is equivalent to four terms of university coursework in the same language. You may satisfy this requirement by taking language courses or by testing out of all or part of it by taking CLEP exams arranged by the Center for Business Outreach.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
English courses that may be used to fulfill diversity requirements and major requirements simultaneously include:
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site