College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of English
English - Creative Writing, Master of Arts
What Can I Do with a Master of Arts in English - Creative Writing?
You'll be offered instruction from excellent faculty in a collaborative and diverse atmosphere. Creative writing students have the opportunity to work in various editorial roles with the university's literary magazine and to read their work at several area venues.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Advertising copywriter
- Freelance writer
- Literary agent
- Fundraiser/Development coordinator
- Program coordinator
- Grant writer
- Writing instructor
- Magazine writer
- Technical writer
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||36|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Thesis||Thesis is required.
|Research||Individualized research is required.
|Program of Study||View Program of Study|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 36 units, which involves completing a creative thesis:
- 500- and 600-level creative writing courses, some of which may be repeated for 9 units of credit (12 units)
- Coursework in literature, literary criticism, literary theory, and/or readings in creative writing (12 units)
- Electives chosen with your advisor's approval (6-9 units)
- ENG 699, for the research, writing, and revision of an approved thesis. Please note: You may end up taking more than the 6 units of thesis credit you can count toward your degree because you must register it each semester while you are working on your thesis. (3-6 units)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site