College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of English
English - Secondary Education, Master of Arts
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
What Can I Do with a Master of Arts in English - Secondary Education?
In our collaborative community, you’ll be given the instruction and attention necessary for your success. You will earn post-degree certification in English Education, which will enable you to seek a position as a secondary English or language arts teacher. And the time you spend student teaching will prepare you for that dream job.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Language arts teacher
- English teacher
- Community college instructor
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Candidates in this program are required to demonstrate content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge and skills, and professional knowledge to be eligible to enter student teaching or internship placements. Content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge or skills are demonstrated through candidate performance on key assessments embedded in the following course(s):
|Minimum Units for Completion||37|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Arizona Certification/Endorsement||Prepares student for Arizona Certification and/or Endorsement.|
|Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching||Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching is required.
|Program of Study||View Program of Study|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- Take the following 37 units:
- ENG 595 (9 units)
- Two ENG electives (6 units)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.