College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of English
English - Literature, Master of Arts
What Can I Do with a Master of Arts in English - Literature?
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Editing and publishing
- Public relations
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||36|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Thesis||Thesis may be required by chosen emphasis or offered as an option.|
|Research||Individualized research may be required by chosen emphasis or offered as an option.|
|Program of Study||View Program of Study|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 36 units:
Select one course from the following methods and theory courses (3 units):
- ENG 513, ENG 515, ENG 523, ENG 524, ENG 553, ENG 640, ENG 641, ENG 642, ENG 643, ENG 645, ENG 646, ENG 662
- Electives (12 units)
Please note that no more than 6 units of ENG 699 may be applied to your degree. If you are interested in writing a thesis, you should consult with your advisor early in your plan. Be aware that you may end up taking more than the 6 units of thesis credit you can count toward your degree because you must enroll for it each term while you are working on your thesis.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site