College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of English
English - General English, Master of Arts
What Can I Do with a Master of Arts in English - General English?
You can shape a program to suit your own goals-we offer literature, professional writing, literacy, composition, English Education, linguistics, and second-language teaching classes. Whatever your passion, our collaborative and welcoming atmosphere will help you find and develop it.
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||36|
|Research||Individualized research is required.
Take the following 36 units:
- ENG 685 (3 units)
- Electives, chosen with your adviser's approval (24 units)
- Graduate linguistics: ENG 504, ENG 510, ENG 518, ENG 528, ENG 538, ENG 548, ENG 558, ENG 559, ENG 568, ENG 638
- Graduate rhetoric and teaching of writing: ENG 501, ENG 503, ENG 511, ENG 519, ENG 520, ENG 521, ENG 570, ENG 610, ENG 631; or
- Graduate professional writing: ENG 502, ENG 517, ENG 522, ENG 549, ENG 569, ENG 605, ENG 606, ENG 608
- Any two literature courses (one at the 500-level and one at the 600-level) from the following: ENG 500, ENG 513, ENG 515, ENG 516, ENG 523, ENG 524, ENG 525, ENG 545, ENG 546, ENG 547, ENG 551, ENG 553, ENG 560, ENG 640, ENG 641, ENG 642, ENG 643, ENG 644, ENG 645, ENG 646, ENG 660, ENG 651, ENG 655, ENG 662, ENG 666. If choosing two literature courses, reduce the number of elective units from 24 to 21.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site