College of Engineering, Forestry, and Natural Sciences2012-2013
School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Sustainability
Environmental Sciences and Policy, Master of Science
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Environmental Sciences and Policy - Emphasis
- Paleoenvironmental Sciences - Emphasis
What Can I Do with a Master of Science in Environmental Sciences and Policy?
If so, the Master of Science in Environmental Sciences and Policy program may be for you. This program offers you strong advising from accomplished faculty for an individualized experience that combines multidisciplinary study, research, and applied projects. These projects often reach across campus and into the greater community, allowing you to build relationships and skills outside of your department. The rigorous training in the natural and political sciences that you will receive in this program will prepare you for successful environmental careers in industry, government, and the non-profit sector.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Policy analyst
- Research assistant
- Climate change lobbyist
- Environmental change specialist
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||34 - 36|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||
Emphasis, minor, and/or certificate are required.
|Thesis||Thesis is required.
|Oral Defense||Oral Defense is required.
|Research||Individualized research is required.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 34 - 36 units:
Core (12 units)
- ENV 555 (3 units)
- ENV 699 (6 units)
Emphasis Requirements (Select One):
Environmental Science and Policy Emphasis (24 units)
Select one course each from two of the following areas (6 units):
- Environmental Science and Policy Emphasis (24 units)
Paleoenvironmental Sciences Emphasis (22-23 units)
Select one course each from the following areas (12-13 units):
- Paleoenvironmental Sciences Emphasis (22-23 units)
- Quaternary Geology:
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site