College of Education2014-2015
Department of Educational Specialties
Educational Technology, Graduate Certificate
* use and integration of technology in instructional learning settings
* design, development, and implementation of online and in-person curriculum based on higher-order thinking skills
* pedagogical constructs to make technology a real tool for learning
The certificate program will provide you with experiential preparation in strategies for teaching in PK-12 classrooms and other professional development or training settings.
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Educational Technology?
The required coursework is based on the National Education Technology Standards (NETS) set by the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). Specifically, the Ed Tech graduate certificate meets the NETS for Technology Coaches (NETS-C). The Certificate in Educational Technology is available completely online. It can be embedded in the M.Ed. in Educational Technology program become the subject matter for the M.Ed. in Secondary Education program.
Graduate certificate programs require a minimum of 12 credit hours. Many certificate programs require more than 12 credit hours.
No more than one 400-level NAU course (3 or 4 units) may be used on a certificate program.
No more than 25% of the units required for the certificate program may be transferred from another university.
A 400-level course (undergraduate course) completed at another university is not eligible for transfer credit.
A minimum grade point average of 3.0 must be achieved to obtain a graduate certificate. No more than three units of coursework with a grade of "C" may be used in a certificate program.
A graduate student may pursue a graduate certificate concurrently with a graduate degree. Each graduate degree program must decide which, if any, certificate courses can be counted toward the graduate degree.
Students who are admitted to a graduate certificate program will be eligible for the official posting of the graduate certificate to their transcripts when all applicable coursework has been successfully completed and approved by the academic unit and the Graduate College.
- Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the “Details” tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
Candidates in this program are required to demonstrate content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge and skills. These specific skills and knowledge are demonstrated through candidate performance on key assessments embedded in all courses.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Some online/blended coursework||Required|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy
- International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
- 1 letter of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Letter of application
Take the following 15 units:
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Under both circumstances, federal financial aid can be used for this certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site