College of Engineering, Forestry, and Natural Sciences2012-2013


Forest Health and Ecological Restoration, Undergraduate Certificate

The Northern Arizona University School of Forestry Undergraduate Forest Health and Ecological Restoration Certificate is designed to provide students with the academic experience in the areas of forest health, entomology, pathology, or ecological restoration within the federal and state land management agencies.


What Can I Do with a Certificate in Forest Health and Ecological Restoration?

This certificate teaches students how forest ecosystems function, how disturbance agents affect forests, and how restoring an ecosystems structure and function can help forests regain healthy conditions. In forests of the southwestern US in particular, overcrowded forest conditions, recent insect outbreaks, and the threat of severe wildfires make the NAU School of Forestry an ideal location for the study of forest health and ecological restoration.

University Requirements

  • An undergraduate certificate may be earned as part of a bachelor's degree or as a stand-alone certificate.

    To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.


In addition to University Requirements:

  • Complete individual plan requirements.

Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

Minimum Units for Completion 15
Major GPA 2.0
Fieldwork Experience/Internship Optional
Research Optional


Certificate Requirements
  • Take the following 15 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:

    Track Requirements (Select One)
    • The ecological restoration track is unique in that students develop and complete an independent senior project. Appropriate projects include research as well as supervised restoration work with government agencies or non-profit organizations. Students choose between FOR 485 or FOR 408 to fulfill this requirement.
  • A minimum of 9 units of coursework must be taken at Northern Arizona University.

    A minimum of 9 units of upper-division coursework is required.
  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.

Campus Availability

Go to mobile site