College of Engineering, Forestry, and Natural Sciences2016-2017


Forest Health and Ecological Restoration, Undergraduate Certificate

The Northern Arizona University School of Forestry Undergraduate Forest Health and Ecological Restoration Certificate is designed to provide students with the academic experience in the areas of forest health, entomology, pathology, or ecological restoration within the federal and state land management agencies.


What Can I Do with a Certificate in Forest Health and Ecological Restoration?

This certificate teaches students how forest ecosystems function, how disturbance agents affect forests, and how restoring an ecosystems structure and function can help forests regain healthy conditions. In forests of the southwestern US in particular, overcrowded forest conditions, recent insect outbreaks, and the threat of severe wildfires make the NAU School of Forestry an ideal location for the study of forest health and ecological restoration.

University Requirements

  • To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.

    Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.


In addition to University Requirements:

  • Complete individual plan requirements.

Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

Minimum Units for Completion 15
Major GPA 2.0
Research Optional


Certificate Requirements
  • Take the following 15 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:

    Select 2 courses from one of the following tracks:

  • A minimum of 9 units of coursework must be taken at Northern Arizona University.

    A minimum of 9 units of upper-division coursework is required.

  • This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate.  Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.

  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.

Campus Availability

Go to mobile site