College of Health and Human Services2013-2014
Department of Health Sciences
Health Sciences - Fitness Wellness, Bachelor of Science
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences - Fitness Wellness?
You will emerge fully prepared for a career in personal training or designing and facilitating fitness programs in a variety of recreational, nonprofit, corporate, and health club settings. In addition to the degree, you will pass a nationally recognized certification for personal training or health and wellness coaching. The flexible hybrid design of this major integrates face-to-face and online classes, allowing you flexibility in your schedule.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Personal training
- Health and wellness coaching
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Exercise instructor
- High school teacher
- Lifestyle coach
- Wellness coach
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- 62 units of major requirements
- Be aware that you may not use courses with an HS prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan||View Progression Plan|
Take the following 62 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Health sciences core (17 units)
- BIO 201, BIO 201L, BIO 202, BIO 202L (8 units)
- HS 200 (3 units)
- HS 390W (3 units)
- Nutrition (any nutrition course) (3 units)
Three 1 unit PES credits which must include the following:
- Group Fitness (Mind/Body)
- Weight Training
- Group Fitness (e.g., aerobic dance)
*HS 408C satisfies NAU's senior capstone requirement. Students must sign-up, pay-for, and pass, a program-approved, nationally-accredited personal fitness, or well coaching certification exam. The fees for particular exams vary and is at the expense of the student. See department for list of approved certifications. (Please Note: a department approved CPR/First Aid course is required prior to taking this course. The student must locate, take and obtain verification of current certification to be cleared for internship/fieldwork.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site