College of Health and Human Services2013-2014
Department of Health Sciences
Health Sciences - Surgical Technology, Bachelor of Science
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences - Surgical Technology?
Our program can provide a convenient, flexible way for students and working professionals to complete their bachelor’s degree. The program will give you an avenue to success, preparing you for employment in hospitals, schools, government health agencies, private industry, and nongovernmental organizations.
Note: To be eligible for this academic plan, students must be admitted to, enrolled in, or be graduates from an associate degree program at a regionally accredited community college or university in an allied health discipline.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Community colleges
- County health departments
- Indian Health Service
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Physical therapist
- Community health educator
- Athletic trainer
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 85 units of major requirements
- Be aware that you may not use courses with an HS prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
To be eligible for this academic plan, students must be admitted to, enrolled in, or be graduates from an associate's degree program at a regionally accredited community college or university in:
- Surgical technology
Take the following 85 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Health sciences core courses include (27 units)
In addition, you take up to 58 units of specialization requirements as a block of courses from an associate degree program at a regionally accredited community college or university in surgical technology. This block includes courses that meet the requirements for graduation and for national certification or licensure in the discipline.
- Note: Prior to beginning the HS 408C capstone course, students must have completed their Associate's degree in the appropriate field. Students must hold a current certification or licensure in their field (if one is available) before and during their capstone course. The student is also required to have a current cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher to be eligible to enroll in it.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site