College of Social and Behavioral Sciences2013-2014

Department of Politics and International Affairs

International Affairs, Bachelor of Arts

This degree encourages students to explore a global viewpoint of international public policy. Students will discover interconnections, synergies, and conflicts between countries, political movements, multinational corporations, non-governmental agencies, and more.


What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in International Affairs?

Having a grasp of worldwide interdependence is vital for diplomatic relations, international business, and in making decisions affecting the future of the nation. If your view of the world tends to be a global one, then the BA in International Affairs from Northern Arizona University can help you prepare you for the wider world.

By focusing on comparative and international issues, you will broaden your understanding of the world today. Courses in Political Science and courses in other fields, such as anthropology, economics, and, history, will provide you breadth and depth of understanding. If you have yet to acquire one, you will also learn a second language, which is crucial in pursuing employment opportunities internationally.

Career opportunities that might be pursued:
  • Policy analysis
  • Journalism
  • Business
  • Foreign Service

With further education, one of these paths is possible:
  • Global strategist
  • Educator
  • Lawyer
  • Civil servant

University Requirements

  • To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.

    • All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
    • All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
    • At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
    • At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
    • A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
    The full policy can be viewed here.



In addition to University Requirements:

  • At least 54 units of major requirements
  • At least 16 units of language requirements
  • Be aware that you may not use courses with a POS prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements
  • Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units

Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.

Minimum Units for Completion 120
Major GPA C
Highest Mathematics Required MAT 114
Foreign Language Required
Fieldwork Experience/Internship Optional
University Honors Program Optional
Progression Plan Link View Progression Plan


Major Requirements
Foreign Language Requirement
  • You must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English that is equivalent to four terms of university coursework in the same language. You may satisfy this requirement by taking language courses or by testing out of all or part of it by taking CLEP exams. 

General Electives
  • Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit. 

    You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)

Additional Information
  • If you take individualized study coursework (up to 6 units in POS 408, POS 466, POS 485 and POS 497), you must obtain prior written approval from your faculty advisor. You may only use individualized study coursework with a course prefix other than POS in exceptional circumstances, with your advisor's prior approval; any such coursework counts toward the 6-unit maximum for individualized study coursework. If you take more than 6 units of individualized study coursework, they will count in general elective credit.

  • Finally be aware that we won't count a grade of "D" for major credit.

  • Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.

Campus Availability

Go to mobile site