College of Education2013-2014
Department of Teaching and Learning
Interdisciplinary Studies - Early Childhood, Bachelor of Science
New students please see the new Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies available Fall 2014 for more information.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies - Early Childhood?
The College of Education is technologically advanced, culturally responsive, and student-focused. Small class sizes guarantee that you will receive lots of individual attention. You'll also do plenty of classroom teaching.
Note: If you want to major in Interdisciplinary Studies-Early Childhood, you must apply and be accepted to the College of Education's teacher education program in addition to being admitted to the university.
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 63-66 units of major requirements including a specialization (24 units); either a concentration, minor, or certificate (15-18 units); and interdisciplinary studies requirements which include a science requirement (24 units)
- Be aware that you may not use courses with a ECI prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements. In addition, you may not use the specific courses in your concentration to also satisfy liberal studies requirements.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- If you want to major in Interdisciplinary Studies-Early Childhood, you must apply and be accepted to the College of Education's teacher education program in addition to being admitted to the university.
Liberal Studies Requirement
- Contact the department of your specialization for information about liberal studies courses that are specific to your major.
- You may use courses with prefixes in your specialization area to fulfill liberal studies, but you may not use the same course(s) to satisfy your specialization requirements and your liberal studies requirements.
- You may not use the specific courses in your concentration to satisfy liberal studies requirements.
- If you do use some courses to meet more than one requirement, you must still meet the total of at least 120 units to graduate. Contact your Interdisciplinary Studies advisor for details.
Take the following 63 - 66 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Early Childhood Specialization (24 units)
- EDF 301W (3 units)
- ECI 305, ECI 320, EPS 324, ESE 436 (12 units)
- BME 480 or ECI 526 (3 units)
- SST 350 or equivalent course approved by your advisor (3 units)
- ECI 408C (3 units)
Please be aware that if you wish to transfer credit from community colleges into this Specialization, you may only use courses designated in the Arizona Higher Education Course Equivalency Guide (AGEC) as either Direct Course Equivalencies or as Departmental Elective Credit. Courses transferred from institutions outside Arizona or from Arizona colleges or universities that don't have formal articulation agreements with Northern Arizona University require the approval of the department chair.
Concentration, Minor, or Certificate Requirements (15-18 units)
Concentration (15 units)
Take at least 15 units that include a minimum of 3 units in each of the following blocks: Ethical Reasoning; Creative Inquiry; Scientific Reasoning; Changing Worlds; and Cultural Perspectives. Courses used to satisfy this requirement may not have been used to satisfy any other requirement for this degree. At least 9 units must be taken at Northern Arizona University and at least 6 units of the 9 units must be upper-division (300- or 400-level).
- Concentration (15 units)
- Creative Inquiry, select from the following (3 units):
Changing Worlds, select from the following (3 units):
- AIS 202, AIS 304
- ANT 105, ANT 253, ANT 301, ANT 303, ANT 306, ANT 350, ANT 351
- CCJ 101, CCJ 250, CCJ 325, CCJ 340, CCJ 360, CCJ 380
- CST 365
- GSP 120, GSP 201, GSP 240, GSP 241, GSP 348, GSP 376
- HIS 240, HIS 241, HIS 291, HIS 292, HIS 308, HIS 394, HIS 397
- PADM 310, PADM 401
- PHI 356, PHI 357
- POS 110, POS 201, POS 210, POS 224, POS 230, POS 231, POS 241, POS 250, POS 254, POS 320, POS 344, POS 355, POS 356, POS 357, POS 359, POS 360, POS 361, POS 362, POS 364
- PSY 250, PSY 375
- REL 390
- SOC 101, SOC 210, SOC 301, SOC 316, SOC 333, SOC 339
- Changing Worlds, select from the following (3 units):
Cultural Perspectives, select from the following (3 units):
- AIS 101, AIS 202, AIS 210, ANT 102, ANT 103, ANT 104, ANT 205, ANT 209, ANT 301, ANT 303, ANT 306, ANT 350
- CCJ 314, CCJ 360
- COM 301
- CST 323
- ENG 245, ENG 345, ENG 381
- ES 191, ES 215, ES 356, ES 391
- HIS 102, HIS 220, HIS 221, HIS 230, HIS 231, HIS 240, HIS 241, HIS 249, HIS 250, HIS 251, HIS 280, HIS 281, HIS 293, HIS 295, HIS 312, HIS 314, HIS 325, HIS 332, HIS 366, HIS 379, HIS 381, HIS 382, HIS 396
- HUM 130, HUM 261, HUM 281, HUM 291, HUM 362, HUM 381, HUM 382
- MUS 360, MUS 365
- PHI 150
- POS 120, POS 366, POS 370, POS 374
- REL 150, REL 201, REL 206, REL 210, REL 220, REL 301, REL 311, REL 321, REL 331, REL 341, REL 351, REL 355, REL 380
- SOC 204, SOC 215, SOC 315
- WGS 150, WGS 191, WGS 260, WGS 360
- Cultural Perspectives, select from the following (3 units):
Minor (18 units)
You may also fulfill this requirement by completing a minor outside your specialization field, instead of either a concentration or certificate. The minor, which will require at least 18 units, must be completed according to the requirements listed in your catalog of graduation. Refer to specific academic areas within this catalog for information about the coursework requirements for particular minors you may be interested in. (Please note that not all minors are available statewide or online.)
Certificate (15 units)
You may also fulfill this requirement by completing a certificate outside your specialization field, instead of either a concentration or a minor. The certificate, which will require at least 15 units, must be completed according to the requirements listed in your catalog of graduation. Refer to specific academic areas within this catalog for information about the coursework requirements for particular certificates you may be interested in. (Please note that not all certificates are available statewide or online.)
- Certificate (15 units)
Interdisciplinary Studies Requirements
Computer Literacy (6 units)
This coursework must help you to understand, in general, the technical components of computers and information systems, how to solve problems using information systems technology, word processing, spreadsheet use, database management, graphic information software, website development, graphic design and use of statistical analysis software. Course(s) must have been taken within 10 years of admission to Northern Arizona University subject to advisor approval.
Communication Courses (6 units)
You must choose 6 units in the following two categories. At least 3 units of the 6 units must be upper-division.
- Performance-based courses, select one from the following (3 units):
- Theory-based courses, select one from the following (3 units):
Please note that you cannot use CLEP or locally prepared exams to satisfy this requirement. Transfer credit used to satisfy this requirement must be approved by the program director.
Science Requirement, select from the following (12 units):
- ANT 101, ANT 102, ANT 104
- BBA 340
- BIO 301, BIO 302
- (CCJ 355 or PADM 355) or PADM 356
- MAT 114, STA 270, or equivalent
- POS 303
- PSY 230 or equivalent
- SOC 355W or SOC 365
- Courses with Biology, Physics, Astronomy, Mathematics, Statistics, Geology, Environmental Sciences, Chemistry prefixes
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site