Business and Administration
Interdisciplinary Studies - Technology Management 90-30, Bachelor of Arts
New students please see the new Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies available Fall 2014 for more information.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies - Technology Management 90-30?
This unique program allows you to transfer up to 90 credit hours from a regionally accredited community college and/or university, so you can maximize the impact of previous studies. You will gain a strong perspective of the structure, function, policies, and practices of IT management. The courses you take will enhance your understanding of management, decision making, and communication skills. You will graduate ready to move into management or administrative positions within the field.
Note: If you want to major in Interdisciplinary Studies-Technology Management, you must apply and be accepted to the Department of Business and Administration program in addition to being admitted to the university.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Community college instructor
- Field tech
- Database analyst
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- To avoid any deficiencies or risk having to take more than 120 units of credit to complete this degree, a completed associate's degree from a community college AND an Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) from a regionally accredited community college in Arizona are highly recommended.
- Students with a completed associate's degree and an AGEC will have met the 35 units of liberal studies requirements; however, students without an AGEC certification will need to meet the Northern Arizona University liberal studies requirements.
- Students may transfer up to a maximum of 90 units of community college and/or university credit from regionally accredited institutions of higher education.
- Students must complete at least 30 upper-division units of coursework. All coursework in the specialization Area must be upper-division and from Northern Arizona University. Substitutions and use of credit from other institutions are not allowed in the specialization.
- Students must have a grade of "C" or better in all courses used in the major, which includes the specialization and the interdisciplinary studies requirements areas.
- Students must have either: an associate's degree with a major or Specialization in a computer/information technology field, or a professional portfolio that demonstrates proficiency in the computer/information technology field.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- You must apply and be accepted to the Department of Business and Administration's program in addition to being admitted to the university.
Liberal Studies Requirement
- If you have earned an AGEC Certification from a regionally accredited community college in Arizona, then you have satisfied the Northern Arizona University liberal studies requirement and the Northern Arizona University diversity requirement for this degree. Students who have not earned an AGEC must complete all liberal studies requirements and diversity requirements before graduation.
- Contact the department of your specialization for information about liberal studies courses that are specific to your major.
- You may use courses with prefixes in your specialization area to fulfill liberal studies, but you may not use the same course(s) to satisfy your specialization requirements and your liberal studies requirements.
- If you do use some courses to meet more than one requirement, you must still meet the total of at least 120 units to graduate. Contact your Interdisciplinary Studies advisor for details.
Associate Degree Transfer Block
- Northern Arizona University accepts a maximum block transfer of 90 units from your associate's degree program, and you then take the remaining 30 upper-division units at Northern Arizona University to complete 120 units.
- Verification of proper credentials is required for the Specialization Milestone, which is necessary to access the specialization courses. Please work with an advisor for more information.
- For information about the associate's degree transfer block and the appropriateness of your associate's degree, check with an Interdisciplinary Studies advisor.
- Students whose associate's degree lacks a major or Specialization in a computer, or IT related field, must prepare and present a professional portfolio that demonstrates proficiency in the appropriate computer, or IT related field. The professional portfolio can include accredited college coursework, professional development courses, and industry/professional certifications. Please note that the professional portfolio will be evaluated for possible admission to the program, but will not satisfy any course requirement.
All coursework in the Specialization Areas must be upper-division and from Northern Arizona University. Substitutions and use of credit from other institutions are not allowed in the Specialization.
Take the following 30 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Technology Management Specialization
- BBA 303, BBA 305W, BBA 340, BBA 350, BBA 355, BBA 360, BBA 370, BBA 460, BBA 465C (27 units)
- Advisor-approved 300-level elective (3 units)
Interdisciplinary Studies Requirements
Computer Literacy (3 units)
This coursework must help you to understand, in general, the technical components of computers and information systems, how to solve problems using information systems technology, word processing, spreadsheet use, database management, graphic information software, website development, graphic design and use of statistical analysis software. Course(s) must have been taken within 10 years of admission to Northern Arizona University subject to advisor approval.
Communication Courses (6 units)
You must choose 6 units in the following two categories. At least 3 units of the 6 units must be upper-division.
- Performance-based courses, select one from the following (3 units):
- Theory-based courses, select one from the following (3 units):
Please note that you cannot use CLEP or locally prepared exams to satisfy this requirement. Transfer credit used to satisfy this requirement must be approved by the program director.
Language Requirement (16 units)
You must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English that is equivalent to four terms of university coursework in the same language. You may satisfy this requirement by taking language courses or by testing out of all or part of it by taking CLEP, or other exams.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Students transferring into this program from California may meet NAU's liberal studies requirements by completing an IGETC at a California community college. Please contact an advisor for more information.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
- Communiversity @ Surprise
- East Valley
- Paradise Valley
- South Mountain
- West Valley
Go to mobile site