College of Arts and Letters2017-2018
Department of English
Literature, Undergraduate Certificate
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Literature?
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
Student Learning Outcomes
A graduating English major whose coursework includes a focus on literature will be able to:
- Examine texts from emergent and established literary traditions
- Read texts attentively, both for accurate literal meaning as well as for style, form, and word choice
- Define literary concepts, genres, and traditions and apply them to interpretations of texts
- Contextualize interpretations of individual texts, using focused, relevant information about societies, cultures, histories, and traditions
- Construct coherent arguments about and engage creatively with literary text
- Write with rhetorical art and proper mechanics
- Evaluate secondary sources and use them responsibly in arguments,
- Use scholarly resources, print and electronic
- Skillfully incorporate primary and secondary texts into critical writing that observes the specific conventions of academic writing about literature
Take the following 18 units with a minimum GPA of 3.0:
We accept a maximum of 6 units of lower-division course work. Select from the following lower-division courses (0-6 units):
- ENG 327, ENG 333, ENG 335, ENG 337, ENG 340, ENG 341, ENG 345, ENG 351, ENG 358, ENG 360W, ENG 361, ENG 362, ENG 364W, ENG 365, ENG 366, ENG 368
This certificate may only be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program. This certificate is not available as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site