College of Arts and Letters2020-2021
Department of History
Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Undergraduate Certificate
This certificate is not accepting students.
This certificate presents you with the opportunity to explore a specific area or discipline without the commitments associated with a four-year degree.
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Medieval and Renaissance Studies?
This certificate provides students with the opportunity to take classes from several disciplines, as well as to receive training in both Latin, the international language of the periods, and paleography, the study of the physical medium through which Latin and other languages were transmitted. The certificate prepares undergraduate students for advanced study, and it augments the skills and knowledge necessary for graduates to succeed in academic positions in their field.
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||21 - 25|
Take the following 21 - 25 units:
- Medieval and Renaissance Studies outside the major discipline, to be negotiated with the advisor (6 units)
- Two semesters of Classical Latin (6-8 units)
- Two additional semesters of Latin (Classical and/or Medieval) or of a vernacular language of the period (e.g., Old English, Old Norse, Old French, Renaissance Italian) (6-8 units)
- Additionally, a thesis written within the major discipline on a topic concerning the Middle Ages or Renaissance is required for this certificate (3 units)
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Federal financial aid cannot be used if the certificate is completed as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site