College of Arts and Letters2013-2014
School of Music
Music Performance, Bachelor of Music
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Instrumental - Emphasis
- Vocal - Emphasis
This program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Music in Music Performance?
We provide a thriving environment for performance, study, creation, and work to help you develop into a well-rounded musician and equip you to become an accomplished performer. You will receive intensive private instruction with faculty musicians, plenty of performance experience, and strong academic preparation for traveling your musical path. The defining activity of your time in the School of Music will be performance. Through performance experience, you’ll develop poise and confidence and learn problem-solving skills transferable to other disciplines.
Note: Note: If you want to major in Performance, you must apply and be accepted to the School of Music’s program in addition to being admitted to the university.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Collegiate band
- Horn ensemble
- Jazz band
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Choir director
- Music therapist
- University professor
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 85 units of major requirements including 39 units of core requirements and 46 to 55 units of emphasis requirements depending on your choice of emphasis
- Be aware that you may not use courses with an MUP or MUS prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 to 129 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120 - 129|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- In order to declare a Music Major, you must apply and be accepted to the School of Music. Please visit the School of Music website.
Take at least the following 85 units with a Grade of "C" or better in all music courses:
Core Requirements (39 units)
- MUP 101, MUP 102 (2 units)
- MUS 121, MUS 122, MUS 131, MUS 132 (8 units)
- MUS 221, MUS 222, MUS 231, MUS 232 (8 units)
- MUS 410 (3 units)
- MUS 241, MUS 242 (6 units)
- MUP 201, MUP 202 (2 units)
- MUP 380 (1 unit)
- MUP 431 (2 units)
- MUS 330W (3 units) ;
- MUP 480C (4 units)
Instrumental Emphasis (46 units)
- Instrumental Emphasis (46 units)
- Instrument ensembles: students enroll in large conducted ensembles for a total of 8 terms. (8 units) To satisfy this requirement, choose from Symphony Orchestra, Wind Symphony, Symphonic Band, and Marching Band. Guitar majors take Guitar Ensemble and Piano majors take Piano Ensemble.
- Chamber Music: students enroll for a total of 4 terms (4 units)
Vocal Emphasis (55 units)
- MUP 111, MUP 211, MUP 311, MUP 411 (3 units each) Private lessons: students enroll in private lesson instruction for a minimum of 7 semesters, 2 terms each of 111, 211, 311 and 1 term of 4111. (21 units)
- MUP 160, MUP 260, MUP 360, MUP 460 (1 unit each) Choral/Vocal Ensembles: students enroll in large conducted ensembles for a total of 10 terms. To satisfy this requirement, complete 2 terms of Opera Theatre, and choose the remaining 8 terms from Shrine of the Ages Choir, Men's Chorale, and Women's Chorale. (10 units)
- MUP 384 (1 units)
- MUS 161, MUS 162, MUS 421, MUS 420 (7 units)
- Foreign Language Requirement: You must demonstrate a two-term proficiency in one of the following languages: French, German, or Italian. In addition, you must take one term of each of the remaining two languages to meet the 16-unit requirements. (Up to 9 units of language may be used to meet liberal studies requirements.) (16 units)
- Vocal Emphasis (55 units)
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site