College of Arts and Letters2013-2014
School of Music
Music, Bachelor of Arts
This program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in Music?
We provide a thriving environment for performance, study, and creation, and work to develop well-rounded musicians equipped to become successful teachers and accomplished performers. You will receive intensive private instruction with faculty musicians, plenty of performance experience, and strong academic preparation for traveling your musical path. You'll be exposed to a comprehensive curriculum, which includes music theory, music history, and applied lessons on all instruments. The School of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
Note: If you want to major in Music, you must apply and be accepted to the School of Music's program in addition to being admitted to the university.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Collegiate band
- Horn ensemble
- Jazz band
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Choir director
- Music therapist
- University professor
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 51 units of major requirements
- At least 16 units of language requirements
- At least 18 units of minor requirement
- Be aware that you may not use courses with an MUP or MUS prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- In order to declare a Music Major, you must apply and be accepted to the School of Music. Please visit the School of Music website.
Take the following 51 units with a Grade of "C" or better in all music courses:
- MUP 101, MUP 102 (2 units)
- MUS 121, MUS 122, MUS 131, MUS 132 (8 units)
- MUS 221, MUS 222, MUS 231, MUS 232 (8 units)
- MUS 241, MUS 242 (6 units)
- MUS 260 (3 units)
- MUS 410 (3 units)
- MUP 111, MUP 211 (1 unit each) Beginning private lessons as assigned by your advisor. Students enroll for a minimum of 4 terms; 2 terms each of 111 and 211. We require an exit performance exam in your last term of private lesson study. (4 units)
- Complete 5 terms of major ensemble as assigned through audition. Select one option:
- MUP 160, MUP 260, and MUP 360, (1 unit each). To satisfy this requriement, choose from Shrine of the Ages Choir, Men's Chorale, and Women's Chorale. (5 units)
- MUS 330W which meets Northern Arizona University's junior writing requirement (3 units)
- MUS 485C which meets Northern Arizona University's senior capstone requirement (3 units)
- Additional MUS or MUP elective courses with your advisor's consent. Note that you may count up to 3 units of MUP ensemble courses toward this requirement. (6 units)
You must complete a minor of at least 18 units from those described in this catalog. In consultation with your advisor, you should select a minor that's appropriate for your career aspirations and educational needs. Your minor advisor will advise you about this part of your academic plan.
Foreign Language Requirement
You must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English that is equivalent to four terms of university coursework in the same language. You may satisfy this requirement by taking language courses or by testing out of all or part of it by taking CLEP exams.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site