College of Arts and Letters2013-2014
School of Music
Music - Music Teaching, Master of Music
What Can I Do with a Master of Music in Music - Music Teaching?
You’ll be provided with the study of current issues and new developments in music education while allowing for greater depth of knowledge, critical thinking, and creativity in traditional music academic subjects. We’ll meet your individual needs with a variety of meaningful topics courses and workshops on issues that interest you.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Elementary music educator
- Choir director
- Orchestra director
- Community college instructor
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||30|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Comprehensive Exam||Comprehensive Exam is required.
|Research||Individualized research is required.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 30 units, which involves the completion of an approved applied project:
- MUS 603, MUS 619, and MUS 670 (9 units)
- MUS 642, MUS 644, and MUS 646 (9 units)
- Approved electives (9 units)
- MUS 689, for the research, writing, and presentation of an approved applied project (3 units)
- Pass a final comprehensive oral exam
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site