College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of Philosophy
Philosophy, Politics and Law, Bachelor of Arts
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, Politics and Law?
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 54 units of major requirements
- Language courses, if needed, to reach proficiency equal to 4 semesters of university-level coursework or 16 units
- Be aware that you may not use courses with a PHI prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
Take the following 54 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Lower Division (24 units)
Upper Division (30 units)
Concentration (15 units)
- Concentration (15 units)
REQUIRED PPL SEMINARS
Students are required to complete a PPL seminar milestone and attend at least two seminars with distinguished visiting lecturers. Typically, a seminar will consist of no more than 15 students in a roundtable session with a guest lecturer. Students will read and be prepared to raise questions about an excerpt of work in progress by the guest. A PPL advisor's signature on the student's graduation form indicates completion of these requirements.
Students are advised to complete one or more of the following practicum listed below, which will require the completion of an application and specific requirements):
- Service learning such as leading philosophy sessions in local high schools (PHI 408)
- Semester of external study as an international or national exchange student
Foreign Language Requirement
You must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English that is equivalent to four terms of university coursework in the same language. You may satisfy this requirement by taking language courses or by testing out of all or part of it by taking CLEP, or other exams.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site