College of Education2013-2014
Department of Educational Leadership
Principal, Graduate Certificate
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Principalship?
Eligibility to enter the internship component of the program requires that you have a posted master's degree (in any field), a minimum of three years teaching experience in K-12 education, and the completed sequence of coursework preceding the internship. This program leads to K-12 administrative certification for principals in the state of Arizona. In addition to completing this program, state certification requires that you complete specific documentation and take the appropriate state examination(s). Please visit the Arizona Department of Education K-12 administrative certification webpage for additional information.
Graduate certificate programs require a minimum of 12 credit hours. Many certificate programs require more than 12 credit hours.
No more than one 400-level NAU course (3 or 4 units) may be used on a certificate program.
No more than 25% of the units required for the certificate program may be transferred from another university.
A 400-level course (undergraduate course) completed at another university is not eligible for transfer credit.
A minimum grade point average of 3.0 must be achieved to obtain a graduate certificate. No more than three units of coursework with a grade of "C" may be used in a certificate program.
A graduate student may pursue a graduate certificate concurrently with a graduate degree. Each graduate degree program must decide which, if any, certificate courses can be counted toward the graduate degree.
Students who are admitted to a graduate certificate program will be eligible for the official posting of the graduate certificate to their transcripts when all applicable coursework has been successfully completed and approved by the academic unit and the Graduate College.
- Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the “Details” tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Required Educational Leadership coursework (27 units)
- Elective Educational Leadership coursework (9 units)
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||36|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Program of Study||View Program of Study|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application required (www.nau.edu/graduateapply) for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit http://nau.edu/GradCol/Admissions/Graduate-Admissions-Policy/ .
- International applicants have additional admission requirements: http://nau.edu/GradCol/Admissions/International/.
Individual program admission requirements include:
- Teaching certificate
- Program of study signed by applicant and advisor
- Completion of masters degree prior to enrolling in the program
Take the following 36 units:
This certificate may be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program or as a stand-alone certificate. Under both circumstances, federal financial aid can be used for this certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
- Bullhead City
- East Valley
- Fort Defiance
- Lake Havasu City
- North Valley
- Show Low
- Signal Peak
- Tuba City
- Tucson North
- West Valley
Go to mobile site