College of Social and Behavioral Sciences2017-2018
Department of Politics and International Affairs
Political Science, Minor
What Can I Do with a Minor in Political Science?
You can also follow your interests with internships that provide education by experience. Political Science students have interned with legislators in the U.S. Congress and Arizona Legislature; federal agencies including the National Park Service, Environmental Protection Agency, and FBI; foreign and international bodies such as the United Nations and the German Parliament; and interest groups that include the Sierra Club, Grand Canyon Trust, and Friends of Flagstaff's Future.
A minor is earned in conjunction with a bachelor's degree.
To receive a minor (18 to 24 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. At least 12 units of the minor must be unique to that minor and not applied to any other minor.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||21|
Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify and use salient political science concepts and analytical method to evaluate current public policies, political actors’ behavior, political events, and institutional arrangements within a diverse world.
- Evaluate the strengths and limitations of a variety of significant analytical approaches used in political science.
- Analyze, synthesize and evaluate the interconnectedness and interdependence of the human experience.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply the discussion to policy and “real world” applications.
- Critically reflect upon the nature and consequences of diversity (e.g. race, gender, class, ethnicity, religion, culture, nation), and develop an understanding of how this diversity both alters and is altered in a world characterized by increasing global interaction.
Take the following 21 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site