College of Social and Behavioral Sciences2012-2013
Department of Psychology
Psychology, Bachelor of Science
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology?
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Human resources
- Working with children and adolescents
- Social work
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Mental health professional
- Social services professional
- Academic professional
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 41 units of major requirements
- At least 18 units of minor requirements
- Be aware that you may not use courses with a PSY prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|Progression Plan||View Progression Plan|
Take the following 41 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course:
- PSY 101, PSY 230, PSY 240, PSY 255, PSY 260 (16 units)
- PSY 227 or PSY 250 (3 units)
- PSY 302W (4 units)
- Select three or more from: PSY 340, PSY 320, PSY 326, PSY 350, PSY 355, PSY 375, PSY 406, PSY 415, PSY 461 (9 units)
- Select one capstone course: PSY 408C, PSY 450C, PSY 460C, PSY 480C, PSY 486C, PSY 490C. To fulfill the capstone requirement, you must also complete an online survey while you are enrolled in one of these capstone courses. (3 units)
- Additional psychology coursework (6 units)
(Please note that NAU's Junior-level writing requirement is satisfied by taking PSY 302W, which is a required course. If a research methods course in psychology was taken at a different institution, any 3-4 unit NAU course with the NAU junior-level writing designation will satisfy this requirement.)
Please note that of the 41 units required for this major, 15 units must be upper-division courses. In addition, individualized courses (PSY 485 and PSY 497) will not meet this 15-unit upper-division requirement. Three units of PSY 408C will count toward the 15-unit upper-division requirement. Finally, you can only count up to 6 units of individualized courses within the 41-unit major.
In addition, at least 15 of the 41 units required for this major must be from courses offered by Northern Arizona University. These 15 units may not include individualized courses.
You must complete a minor of at least 18 units from those described in this catalog. In consultation with your advisor, you should select a minor that's appropriate for your career aspirations and educational needs. Your minor advisor will advise you about this part of your academic plan.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.