Arts and Sciences
This degree will enable you to develop a range of skills in written and oral communication, critical thinking, interpersonal relations, analysis, and synthesis necessary for scientific inquiry in the field of psychology.
The psychology major supports the goal of a liberal arts education: developing well-rounded and well-educated citizens. It also provides graduates with a solid foundation in all the major areas of human behavior and mental processes: clinical, cognition, development, social psychology, physiological psychology, and health psychology.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor in Psychology?
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Social services
- Law enforcement
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Counseling medicine
- Social work
- Personnel management
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 38 units of major requirements
- At least 18 units of a minor or 15 units of a certificate
- 6 units of communication skills
- 12-16 units of foreign language for a Bachelor of Arts OR 12 units of science for the Bachelor of Science
- Up to 9 units of major prefix courses may be used to satisfy Liberal Studies requirements; these same courses may also be used to satisfy major requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Some online/blended coursework||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||Not Available|
Take the following to 77 - 81 units:
- The following 38 units must be completed with a Grade of "C" or better or better.
- At least 15 of these 38 units must be taken from Northern Arizona University.
- PSYCH 101 (3 units)
- PSYCH 230 (4 units)
- PSYCH 240 (3 units)
- Select two from PSYCH 250 or PSYCH 227 or PSYCH 215 (6 units)
- PSYCH 302W (3 units)
- (PSYCH 326 or PSYCH 348) (3 units)
- (PSYCH 340 or PSYCH 344) (3 units)
- (PSYCH 355 or PSYCH 370) (3 units)
- PSYCH 420 (3 units)
- PSYCH 432 (3 units)
- (PSYCH 450C or PSYCH 460C) or PSYCH 490C (3 units)
Complete a Minor or a Certificate (15-18 units)
Complete at least 18 units from a minor other than Psychology.
Complete at least 15 units from a Certificate other than Psychology.
Computer Literacy (3 units)
This coursework must help you to understand, in general, the technical components of computers and information systems, how to solve problems using information systems technology, word processing, spreadsheet use, database management, graphic information software, website development, graphic design and use of statistical analysis software.
Communication Requirements (6 units)
Choose 6 units in the following two categories.
- Performance-based courses, select one from the following (3 units)
- Theory-based courses, select one from the following (3 units)
Please note that you cannot use CLEP or locally prepared exams to satisfy this requirement. Transfer credit used to satisfy this requirement must be approved by the program director.
- Choose One:
Foreign Language Requirement (16 units)
You must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English that is equivalent to four terms of university coursework in the same language. You may satisfy this requirement by taking language courses or by testing out of all or part of it by taking CLEP exams.
Science Requirement (12 units)
Select from the following:
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site