College of Social and Behavioral Sciences2013-2014
Department of Psychology
Psychology, Master of Arts
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Clinical Health Psychology - Emphasis (ending Summer 2015)
- Pre-Doctoral training in Clinical Health Psychology - Emphasis (ending Summer 2015)
- Pre-Doctoral training in General Psychology Research - Emphasis (ending Summer 2015)
- Teaching of Psychology - Emphasis (ending Summer 2015)
What Can I Do with a Master of Arts in Psychology?
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Mental health professional
- Social services professional
- Community college instructor
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||36 - 43|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||
Emphasis, minor, and/or certificate are required.
|Thesis||Thesis may be required by chosen emphasis or offered as an option.|
|Oral Defense||Oral Defense may be required by chosen emphasis or offered as an option.|
|Research||Individualized research may be required by chosen emphasis or offered as an option.|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy
- International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
- GRE® revised General Test
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Prerequisites (completed prior to enrolling in the program)
- Minimum of 18 units of psychology credit including Introduction to Psychology (101); Statistics; Research Methods.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement or essay
- Responses to specific essay questions
Take the following 36 - 43 units:
Emphasis Requirements (Select One):
Select from the following (21-24 units):
- PSY 599, PSY 601, PSY 610, PSY 620, PSY 621, PSY 633, PSY 635, PSY 636, PSY 640, PSY 650, PSY 653, PSY 655, PSY 665, PSY 670, PSY 678, PSY 683
- PSY 685 (with a limit of 3 units toward degree), including any graduate courses offered by our department (except for courses reserved for the clinical-health students)
- Approved cognates from outside the department (1-3 units)
- PSY 699, for the research, writing, and oral defense of an approved thesis. Please note that you can only count 6 units of thesis credit toward your degree. However, you may end up taking more units because you must enroll for it each term while you are working on your thesis. (6 units)
Pre-Doctoral training in Clinical Health Psychology Emphasis (43 units)
- PSY 625, PSY 673, and PSY 725 (9 units)
- PSY 601, PSY 636, PSY 640, PSY 650, PSY 681, PSY 683, and PSY 690 (22 units)
- PSY 645 or PSY 646 (1-6 units)
- Pre-Doctoral training in Clinical Health Psychology Emphasis (43 units)
Please note that many of our graduate courses have prerequisites and must follow a specified sequence.
Please be aware that if you earn more than 6 units with a grade of "C" or lower, you will automatically be terminated from the program.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site