Arts and Sciences
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Sociology?
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Research and analysis
- Youth advocacy
- Social services
- Rehabilitation counseling
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- University professor
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 36 units of major requirements
- At least 18 units of a minor or 15 units of a certificate
- 6 units of communication skills
- 12-16 units of foreign language for a Bachelor of Arts OR 12 units of science for the Bachelor of Science
- Up to 9 units of major prefix courses may be used to satisfy Liberal Studies requirements; these same courses may also be used to satisfy major requirements
- Electives as needed to reach 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|Some online/blended coursework||Required|
|AZ Transfer Students complete AGEC-A||Recommended|
Take the following 72 - 79 units:
- The following 36 units must be completed with a Grade of "C" or better.
- At least 15 of these 36 units must be taken at Northern Arizona University.
- SOCIO 101 (3 units)
- (SOCIO 210 or SOCIO 215 or SOCIO 216) (3 units)
- Take 2 different topics of SOCIO 301 (6 units)
Minor or Certificate
Complete at least 18 units from a minor other than Sociology.
Complete at least 15 units from a Certificate other than Sociology.
Computer Literacy (3 units)
This coursework must help you to understand, in general, the technical components of computers and information systems, how to solve problems using information systems technology, word processing, spreadsheet use, database management, graphic information software, website development, graphic design and use of statistical analysis software.
Communication Requirements (6 units)
Choose 6 units in the following two categories.
- Performance-based courses, select one from the following (3 units)
- Theory-based courses, select one from the following (3 units)
Please note that you cannot use CLEP or locally prepared exams to satisfy this requirement. Transfer credit used to satisfy this requirement must be approved by the program director.
- Choose one:
Foreign Language Requirement (16 units)
You must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English that is equivalent to four terms of university coursework in the same language. You may satisfy this requirement by taking language courses or by testing out of all or part of it by taking CLEP exams.
Science Requirement (12 units)
Select from the following:
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site