College of Arts and Letters2014-2015
Department of Global Languages and Cultures
Spanish, Bachelor of Arts
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish?
Prepare for the future by immersing yourself in diversity. With our linguistic, literary, and cultural approaches to language study, you will learn to think critically and develop skills in speaking, listening, reading, and writing. You will grow to understand and appreciate diverse cultures. By mastering a second language, you will discover new opportunities in the global marketplace.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Multinational companies
- Exporting organizations
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Intelligence specialist
- International lawyer
- International patent attorney
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 36 units of major requirements
- At least 18 units of minor requirements
- Up to 9 units of major prefix courses may be used to satisfy Liberal Studies requirements; these same courses may also be used to satisfy major requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
Take the following 36 units with a Grade of "C" or better:
- Select two from: SPA 351, SPA 352, SPA 353, SPA 354 (6 units)
- Select one from: SPA 304W, SPA 311W (3 units)
- Select one from: SPA 451C, SPA 452C, SPA 460C, SPA 480C (3 units)
- Additional units of coursework in Spanish (3 units)*
*You may not count SPA 100- or 200-level courses toward your major requirements or liberal studies.
You may only take lower-level SPA courses if you have not already taken advanced SPA coursework. For example, after you have completed 200-level SPA courses, you may not take SPA courses at the 100 level; after completing a 300-level course, you may not take 100- or 200-level courses.
You must complete a minor of at least 18 units from those described in this catalog. In consultation with your advisor, you should select a minor that's appropriate for your career aspirations and educational needs. Your minor advisor will advise you about this part of your academic plan.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site