College of Education2017-2018
Department of Educational Specialties
Special Education, Master of Education
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Cross-Categorical/High Incidence - Emphasis
- Disability Studies - Emphasis
- Early Childhood - Emphasis
Other graduate certificates available with the Master of Education include the Austism Spectrum Disorders Certificate and the Positive Behavior Support Certificate.
This plan is appropriate if you are interested in Special Education. Please note that although certain courses in this plan may apply toward certification, completing this M.Ed. does not lead to certification. This is a Continuing Professional Program. Consult with your advisor and the Arizona Department of Education for information about obtaining Special Education Certification.
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
What Can I Do with a Master of Education in Special Education?
If you're looking for a career serving individuals with disabilities in private settings, through human service agencies, or want to increase and enhance your knowledge and skills in serving individuals with disabilities in school settings, our program might be perfect for you.
The program focuses on serving individuals with disabilities with the option of focusing on special emphasis areas. Candidates may also choose more than one emphasis area if desired. Some emphasis areas also lead to a graduate certificate and requires an additional application. This degree program does not lead to teaching certification.
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Special education teacher
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||30|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||
Emphasis, minor, and/or certificate are required.
|Progression Plan Link||View Program of Study|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy
- International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
- IVP Fingerprint clearance card
- Teaching certificate (if the applicant has one)
Take the following 30 units:
Core Requirements (12 units)
- ESE 548 or equivalent (3 units)
- ESE 698 (3 units)
- ESE Elective, or students with no coursework in Educational Foundations must take one course in Educational Foundations in place of the special education elective. (3 units)
- If students choose to earn a certificate, 3 units of electives must be taken in addition to listed plan requirements.
- This program of study is appropriate for students who are not seeking certification in special education.
- Students cannot apply for teaching certification under this program of studies.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site