College of Education2013-2014
Department of Educational Specialties
Special Education - Severe/Profound Certified, Master of Education
This plan is appropriate for candidates who are not already certified in Special Education. Candidates in this program of studies are required to demonstrate content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge and skills, and professional knowledge to be eligible to enter student teaching or internship placements. Content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge or skills are demonstrated through candidate performance on key assessments embedded in specific classes.
This program is nationally recognized by the Council for Exceptional Children.
What Can I Do with a Master of Education in Special Education - Severe/Profound Low Incidence Certified?
If your aspiration is to enter the teaching field and you want to work with children who have disabilities, this degree plan is for you. This plan will guide you toward certification in special education as an area of expertise, and upon successfully completing the program, you will be eligible to receive an institutional recommendation. The Severe/Profound certification means you'll be prepared to work with children with moderate-to-severe intellectual disabilities, autism, orthopedic and health impairments, and multiple disabilities.
The demand for special education teachers currently outpaces the supply across the country. By earning this degree, you'll be ready to enter a special education teaching position in the private sector, human services agencies, or in school settings.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Special education teacher
- Educational administrator
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Candidates in this program are required to demonstrate content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge and skills, professional knowledge, and professional dispositions to be eligible to enter student teaching or internship placements. Content, pedagogical, and professional knowledge or skills, professional dispositions are demonstrated through candidate performance on key assessments embedded in the following course(s):
|Minimum Units for Completion||31|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Arizona Certification/Endorsement||Prepares student for Arizona Certification and/or Endorsement.|
|Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching||Student Teaching/Supervised Teaching is required.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application required.for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy
- International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
- 1 letter of recommendation
- Prerequisites (completed prior to enrolling in the program)
- ENG 101 and 102 or ENG 105 (or equivalent) with a minimum grade of B. Math (College Algebra) with a minimum grade of C. Laboratory Science with a minimum grade of C
- IVP Fingerprint clearance card
- Privacy forms
- Teaching certificate (if the applicant has one)
- Program of study signed by applicant and advisor
Take the following 31 units, which are organized into three blocks:
Block A - Foundation Education Coursework (0 -18 units)
The courses in this block are required for those candidates entering the program without a degree or certification in elementary or secondary education.
For candidates who have a degree in elementary education, Block A requirements are waived.
For candidates who have certification in secondary education, the elementary curriculum and instruction block is required, but the educational foundations and educational psychology courses can be waived.
Educational Foundations (3 units)*
Select one course from:
Select one course from:
- Educational Foundations (3 units)*
*EDF 500 and EPS 605 are strongly recommended if you did not complete an undergraduate education degree or certification program.
** BME courses are required for the Structured English Immersion (SEI) endorsement. Candidates who have full SEI endorsement at admission must provide proof of the full endorsement. If proof of full SEI endorsement is presented at admission, the candidate is not required to take the BME courses as part of his/her program of study.
- Block B - Required Special Education Certification Courses (31 units)
- ESE 608 Low Incidence, taken with ESE 664 and (ESE 526 or ESE 681) (2 units)
- ESE 594 or ESE 695 (8 units)
Block C - Elective Coursework (0-15 units)
Candidates who want further Special Education preparation may choose to take one of the following focus areas. This is optional, not required.
Early Childhood Special Education
- Early Childhood Special Education
Please Note: Candidates must also pass the Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessment (professional knowledge and special-education focus area), and meet State requirements on Federal and State Constitutional knowledge for Arizona Teacher Certification.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site