College of Arts and Letters2014-2015
School of Art
Studio Art, Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Ceramics - Emphasis
- Painting - Emphasis
- Printmaking - Emphasis
- Sculpture - Emphasis
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art?
Develop your craft in small classes that guarantee close interaction with faculty. Our studio facilities provide all you'll need to make art--except your personal vision. Study the masters, explore critical scholarship, and create visual objects in a variety of media. Build self-confidence with a required one-person exhibition, presentation, and oral defense. You'll graduate prepared for the life of a working artist or for careers in art-related fields. Our balanced program of study will also fully prepare you for graduate study.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Antique dealing
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Corporate curator
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 84 units of major requirements which include 30 units of emphasis requirements.
- Note that PHO courses, ART 100, ART 101 and ART 300 do not fulfill the requirements of the B.F.A. major.
- Up to 9 units of major prefix courses may be used to satisfy Liberal Studies requirements; these same courses may also be used to satisfy major requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
Take the following 54 units:
- ART 122, ART 135, ART 136, ART 150, ART 151 (15 units)
- ARH 141 or ARH 142 (3 units)
- Select two from: ARH 352, ARH 353, ARH 355, ARH 356 (6 units)
- Select one 200-300 level ARH elective (3 units)
- ARE 330W which meets Northern Arizona University's junior writing requirement (3 units)
- Select two of the following elective tracks (24 units):
The two elective tracks selected above must differ from your emphasis.
Emphasis Requirements (Select one that differs from either of the elective tracks chosen above):
Ceramics Emphasis (30 units)
- The two elective tracks selected above must differ from your emphasis.
- Printmaking Emphasis (30 units)
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
- You must have completed all of the coursework used to fulfill these requirements within the last 10 years.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site