College of Education2012-2013
Department of Educational Leadership
Superintendent, Graduate Certificate
This program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Superintendency?
This program leads to K-12 administrative certification for superintendents in the state of Arizona. In addition to completing this program, state certification requires that you complete specific documentation and take the appropriate state examination(s). Please visit the Arizona Department of Education K-12 administrative certification webpage for additional information.
Graduate certificate programs require a minimum of 12 credit hours. Many certificate programs require more than 12 credit hours.
No more than one 400-level NAU course (3 or 4 units) may be used on a certificate program.
No more than 25% of the units required for the certificate program may be transferred from another university.
A 400-level course (undergraduate course) completed at another university is not eligible for transfer credit.
A minimum grade point average of 3.0 must be achieved to obtain a graduate certificate. No more than three units of coursework with a grade of "C" may be used in a certificate program.
A graduate student may pursue a graduate certificate concurrently with a graduate degree. Each graduate degree program must decide which, if any, certificate courses can be counted toward the graduate degree.
Students who are admitted to a graduate certificate program will be eligible for the official posting of the graduate certificate to their transcripts when all applicable coursework has been successfully completed and approved by the academic unit and the Graduate College.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Required Educational Leadership coursework (15 units)
- Graduate elective Educational Leadership coursework (9 units)
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||24|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- Master's degree with a minimum of 36 graduate units (in any field)
- Three years of verified teaching experience in grades Pre-K through 12
- A total of 60 graduate units
- Possession of a valid principal's certificate issued by the State of Arizona
Take the following 24 units:
- EDL 724, EDL 733, EDL 734, EDL 736, EDL 797 (15 units)
- Graduate Electives: a maximum of 9 graduate elective units in Educational Leadership may be transferred in from another program, but not from a master's degree (9 units)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site