College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of English
Teaching English as a Second Language - Language Teaching for Practicing Teachers, Master of Arts
What Can I Do with a Master of Arts in Teaching English as a Second Language - Language Teaching for Practicing Teachers?
You’ll also be offered courses in assessment for second language skills, fundamentals of second language teaching, and grammatical foundations. This program can culminate in a capstone experience with real-world applications: you can engage in a supervised classroom-based research project in your own classroom instead of taking the comprehensive exam. You also earn practicum credit in the confines of your own classroom. The program includes all the course requirements for the Arizona ESL endorsement.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- International educator
- Test developer
- Community college instructor
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
In addition to University Requirements:
|Minimum Units for Completion||37|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Arizona Certification/Endorsement||Prepares student for Arizona Certification and/or Endorsement.|
|Foreign Language||A foreign language is required.
|Research||Individualized research is required.
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- Take the following 37 units:
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site