College of Arts and Letters2012-2013
Department of Theatre
Theatre, Bachelor of Arts
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Design and Technology - Emphasis
- Performance - Emphasis
- Theatre Studies - Emphasis
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre?
We offer nationally respected curricula in theatre studies, performance, and design and technology. We will help you develop the broadest possible understanding of the art and craft of the stage with our practical and academic courses. You'll also receive a firm grounding in the liberal arts. You'll study dramatic literature, history, theory and criticism, theatre performance, and design, and technology. You'll have plenty of opportunities to learn by doing. The university theatre season includes four faculty directed, mainstage productions and numerous student produced, second stage productions per year. You will learn to express yourself logically and artistically, and graduate prepared for post-baccalaureate study, or professional theatre.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Costume designer
- Drama teacher
- Lighting designer
- Costume technician
- Scenic carpenter or painter
- Technical director
- Stage manager
- Master Electrician
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Professional Theatre
- Film or television
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 50 units of major requirements including an 18 unit emphasis
- At least 16 units of language requirements
- At least 18 units of minor requirements
- Be aware that you may not use courses with a TH prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements. Contact your department for information about liberal studies courses that are specific to this major.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
You must declare a Design and Technology or Performance Emphasis.
Take the following 50 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course and a minimum GPA of 2.5 in your major:
Core Requirements (32 units)
You must complete a minor of at least 18 units from those described in this catalog. In consultation with your advisor, you should select a minor that's appropriate for your career aspirations and educational needs. Your minor advisor will advise you about this part of your academic plan.
Foreign Language Requirement
You must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English that is equivalent to four terms of university coursework in the same language. You may satisfy this requirement by taking language courses or by testing out of all or part of it by taking CLEP exams.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
You must have a grade of "C" or better in [ENG 105].
Be aware that we will only accept up to half (25 units) of the courses required for your major as transfer credit.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site