University Studies, Bachelor of University Studies
This undergraduate program attracts students with an individual vision of what they would like to pursue. With an advisor’s assistance, junior-level students can pair two minors to create a unique synergy.
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of University Studies in University Studies?
Are you fascinated by two different subjects but don't want to major in either of them? Have you earned a substantial amount of credit already? Do you know what your future career will be and want an education tailored to your specific needs? If you have 60 or more units of earned college-level coursework and obtain the recommendation of an advisor, you can complete a degree that provides the flexibility to change direction and build upon prior educational experiences in multiple disciplines. This degree will provide you with rigorous study in two areas - you will complete two minors - and focused preparation for your career path.
Note: If you want to major in University Studies, you must have 60 units of university coursework successfully completed or in progress. You must also apply through the Gateway Student Success Center to be accepted into the program. BUS application
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Museum work
- Writing/editing (grant-writing, journalism, publishing)
- Program administration (non-profits, corporate, NGO)
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 36 units of major requirements, comprised of 2 minors.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- To be admitted into a BUS plan, you must have at least 60 units of college level coursework successfully completed or in progress. Advising, along with application to the program is housed in the Gateway Student Success Center, and is subject to approval of the BUS Faculty Steering Committee. The application can be found at: BUS application
Take at least 36 units from:
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site