University Studies, Bachelor of University Studies
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of University Studies in University Studies?
Note: If you want to major in University Studies, you must have 60 units of university coursework successfully completed or in progress. You must also apply through the Gateway Student Success Center to be accepted into the program.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Museum work
- Writing/editing (grant-writing, journalism, publishing)
- Program administration (non-profits, corporate, NGO)
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 36 units of major requirements
- You may not use the same courses from your major to fulfill your Liberal Studies distribution requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- To be admitted into a BUS plan, you must have at least 60 units of college level coursework successfully completed or in progress.
- Application to the program is made through the Gateway Student Success Center, subject to approval of the BUS Faculty Steering Committee and the BUS Academic Administrator (Vice Provost for Academic Affairs or designee).
- You must also meet with a Gateway advisor to determine career planning appropriateness, obtain an advisor recommendation, and file an approved change of major request.
Take the following 42 units:
- A junior level writing course from a discipline or ENG 302W or ENG 305W (3 units)
- A capstone course from a discipline or BUS 450C (3 units)
- The successful completion of two minors is needed to fulfill the major requirement for the BUS degree. See the list of BUS approved minors. One of your minors can be the BUS Individualized Minor (36 units)
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.