College of Social and Behavioral Sciences2013-2014
Visual Communication, Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Available Emphasis Areas:
- Interactive Design - Emphasis
- Graphic Design - Emphasis
What Can I Do with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Communication?
By harnessing aesthetic judgment with project management skills, you'll learn to persuade viewers and forcefully communicate your client's message. Our alumni have started successful independent design practices and worked for some of the country's leading firms, including Body Glove, Yahoo! Games, Teva, and Nike.
Career opportunities that might be pursued:
- Advertising design
- Graphic design
- Set design
With further education, one of these paths is possible:
- Museum curator
- Art director
- Graphic design supervisor
- Academic professional
To receive a bachelor's degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University's liberal studies, diversity, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 66 units of major requirements including 39 units of emphasis requirements
- Be aware that you may not use courses with a VC prefix to satisfy liberal studies requirements
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Emphasis, Minor, Certificate||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
Take the following 66 units with a Grade of "C" or better in each course and a minimum GPA of 2.5:
Art History courses (9 units)
- ARH 142 (3 units)
- Select one from: ARH 141, ARH 143, ARH 145 (3 units)
- Additional ARH course at the 200 level or higher, approved by your advisor (3 units)
All majors must earn the grade of "C" or better in COM 101, COM 200, their freshman composition required course and their foundation mathematics course.
You must complete ART 135, VC 101, and VC 251 in your first two years of study, or your graduation may be delayed.
You must complete VC 161, VC 329, VC 331, VC 351, ART 136, and COM 101, COM 200 before enrolling in VC 330, VC 332, and VC 370.
Please note that you must complete the last five of your emphasis courses at Northern Arizona University.
Additional coursework is required, if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you. (Please note that you may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren't used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.)
- See the School of Communication page for information about the Communication Core, Advising and Student Responsibilities, and Graduation Requirements.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site