College of Social and Behavioral Sciences2012-2013
Women's and Gender Studies Program
Women's and Gender Studies, Graduate Certificate
Students will also examine issues of gender, class, race, age, and sexuality—gaining new vocabulary and perspectives that underscore ways of making sense of the world.
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies?
Graduate certificate programs require a minimum of 12 credit hours. Many certificate programs require more than 12 credit hours.
No more than one 400-level NAU course (3 or 4 units) may be used on a certificate program.
No more than 25% of the units required for the certificate program may be transferred from another university.
A 400-level course (undergraduate course) completed at another university is not eligible for transfer credit.
A minimum grade point average of 3.0 must be achieved to obtain a graduate certificate. No more than three units of coursework with a grade of "C" may be used in a certificate program.
A graduate student may pursue a graduate certificate concurrently with a graduate degree. Each graduate degree program must decide which, if any, certificate courses can be counted toward the graduate degree.
Students who are admitted to a graduate certificate program will be eligible for the official posting of the graduate certificate to their transcripts when all applicable coursework has been successfully completed and approved by the academic unit and the Graduate College.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Take the following 15 units:
Core Requirement (6 units)
- ANT 404, ANT 556
- CCJ 425, CCJ 460, CCJ 532
- CST 424, CST 524
- EDL 698
- ENG 516, ENG 642
- HIS 386, HIS 565
- POS 604
- PSY 491
- SOC 504
- WGS 465, WGS 497, WGS 599, WGS 652, WGS 685, WGS 697
Other course selection criteria:
- We will accept only one 400-level course toward this certificate;
- No courses may be transferred into this plan from another university;
- Only 3 units of Northern Arizona University coursework prior to admission to the certificate program can be applied to these requirements;
- Only 6 units of this certificate coursework may be used in another graduate degree program.
- You may complete these courses in any order, although we recommend that you take WGS 600 as early as possible in your plan of study.
- We may add additional courses to this list, including one-time offerings. Refer to the Women's and Gender Studies website for current approved courses.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Go to mobile site