Accounting, Undergraduate Certificate
Department of Economics, Finance, and Accounting
The W. A. Franke College of Business
The goal of this certificate is to broaden your knowledge of the vocabulary, processes, and practices of this important functional area of business. It is one of the few certificates in The W. A. Franke College of Business open to non-business majors (after they have completed appropriate prerequisites).
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||18|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
The accounting certificate is designed to supplement business and nonbusiness majors with intermediate proficiency in accounting as an analytical tool for understanding business. The coursework offers a strong coverage of current practices and technology to develop practical skills valued in business, government and non-profit organizations.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
- Analyze financial, business, and tax information and appropriately apply a given measurement and reporting method
- Identify risks of negative outcomes and evaluate controls that mitigate such risks through prevention or detection and correction
- Use appropriate analytical techniques to identify a business problem, generate and compare alternatives, and develop a solution
- Appropriately use spreadsheets and other software to build models and simulations
- Access appropriate digital relevant standards, rules, and other information to obtain decision support
- Communicate clearly and objectively and, where applicable, using applicable standards of disclosure or reporting
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
The W.A. Franke College of Business (FCB) offers more than a dozen undergraduate certificates, some of which are open to all Northern Arizona University students.
For a list of certificates open to non-business majors, contact the Office of Academic Services in the FCB.
The FCB does not accept upper-division transfer credits from programs not accredited by the AACSB (such as the University of Phoenix or the Bachelor of Business Administration program at NAU).
You must complete 6 units of certificate coursework that are not used in your major, minor, or other certificates, and you must complete at least 60% of certificate coursework at Northern Arizona University.
Take the following 18 units with a minimum GPA of 2.0:
Continuation in the Certificate in Accounting is predicated on achieving a grade of "C" or better in ACC 300 and ACC 355 within three attempts in the class. A grade of “W' will count in the total attempts allowed for all upper-division ACC courses.
Please note that this certificate is not available for Accountancy Majors.
You must have completed all of the coursework used to fulfill these requirements within the last 10 years.
This certificate may only be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program. This certificate is not available as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.